04.
Lightspeed Champion
Falling Off The Lavender Bridge


There’s something inherently charming about this record. As soon as I heard the country-blues of the opening ‘Number One’, leading into the perfect ‘Galaxy of the Lost’, I was hooked. The ten minute – but feels like only three to me – long ‘Midnight Surprise’ (best drumming on a ‘mellow’ track since Dave Grohl’s appearance on Cat Power’s You Are Free) is another highlight. I also love the banjo-led ‘Let The Bitches Die’. Hell, I love every track. There is, in addition to the brilliant songs, a great style here – Dev Hynes’ new look, the colour and image on the album cover (why is he holding a rabbit, exactly?) and an underlying laissez faire vibe – this album just stands out from the pack. An unexpected pleasure. I was sad when Test Icicles broke up (for those who don’t know, Hynes was in that terribly-named punk band a few years ago). Now I’m really glad, as it made way for this: very different, and in a whole other league.

No comments:

Post a Comment