15.
Pendulum
In Silico


I bought Pendulum’s debut – Hold Your Colour – ages ago: way back in 2005. It didn’t make my top 20 albums then. That record was an enjoyable mainstream drum ‘n’ bass record (ideal for the likes of me: people who don’t follow drum ‘n’ bass but quite like it on occasion). It was good, but I soon forgot about it. When this, their second album, finally appeared in May, then, I noted but largely ignored it. The general buzz that followed, as well as a short TV clip I caught of them at Glastonbury, convinced me to re-evaluate. What I got was not just a drum ‘n’ bass record, but a rather masterful dance/rock cross-over album. Pendulum have rightly gone supernova this year, and I get the feeling that if this had come out ten years ago, it could have been one of my favourite albums of all time. The quasi nu-metal choruses don’t have quite the impact on me today that they once would have, but it is impossible not to move to the beats. An infectious and completely thrilling listen. Even if it is aimed at 16 year olds…

1 comment:

  1. Did you know these guys have been around for at least 10 years?? In my rediscovery of my CDs, which finally got unpacked in Sept after 5 years in boxes, I found a Pendulum song on a compilation album I have from 1998. Don't know where they've been all these years- hiding in the Aussie underground scene somewhere, I imagine!

    ReplyDelete