19.
Ambrose Tompkins
Are You Well?




This is a tiny, weird little record. I guess it could be filed as ‘folk’ or perhaps ‘nu-folk’, but in reality it’s just whatever seemed to come to mind of those responsible for it at any given time. Ambrose Tompkins isn’t, as one might reasonably expect, a guy, it’s a band (no idea what that name’s all about though). In fact, I knew nothing about them at the start of the year, and still know quite little now – this was an album bought based on a superb review, though I can’t now remember where I read it. What makes this album great, I think, is that it strikes a balance between keeping things simple – it’s essentially a collection of 16 short acoustic songs – and maintaining an edge of experimentation: some of the harmonies are quite unusual, and instruments like mandolins, xylophones and ukuleles all crop up throughout in support of the acoustic guitar. This is unassuming, chilled music, but it’s also captivating and rewards repeated listens with its depth. A great find, and one I’d strongly recommend. Thoughtful and yet not overly weighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment