09.
Blood Red Shoes
Box Of Secrets


What a noise these guys make. This is a boy/girl two piece who hail from Brighton. He plays drums, she plays guitar, and they both sing. Dirty garage pop, with a real sniping edge to it. Standouts are the aptly scatterbrained ‘ADHD’, the shouty ‘It’s Getting Boring By The Sea’ (Brighton’s maybe not as good to live in as it undoubtedly is to visit), and the brilliant ‘I Wish I Was Someone Better’ (as good a rock song as anyone has managed in 2008). I think what makes it all work so well is the chemistry between the two of them, and the way that their voices complement each other. I’ve also realised that the lyrical repetition of the refrains has hammered these tracks firmly into my brain cave – the sort of songs that will stay there forever. This album went up in my estimation still further after they absolutely blew me away live. How do they make that noise, when there’s only two of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment