08.
Laura Marling
Alas, I Cannot Swim



A lovely little record. I know everyone goes on about how young-yet-mature she is, but I can’t help but find it all amazing. If this had come from Beth Orton or someone similar, at this stage in their career, it would have been extremely impressive, but for an album this developed and well rounded to come from an 18 year old is, frankly, incredible. The songwriting, the lyrics – it’s all superb. I’ve listened to it loads. I think the only real problem I have with the record is that it is so emotionally real that I sometimes find it actually makes me sad. Opener ‘Ghosts’ is perhaps the best example: delicate but with an underlying pain, which – contrived or not – feels genuine to me. Similarly ‘Your Only Doll (Dora)’ has a harshness to it that belies its beauty and always leaves me a tad melancholic. To round it off, the hidden track is also absolutely perfect. Can’t remember the last time I wished a hidden track had been included earlier on an album.

No comments:

Post a Comment